UWA Logo
  Prospective Students | Current Students | Staff | Alumni | Visitors | About    

UWA Home
Official Publications
Annual Report 2005
Archived Versions
Site Map
Downloads
 Go to the Official Publications web site Books and an LCD Screen
 Go to previous page Go to next page 

Chancellor's Introduction

Dr Ken Michael, Chancellor of UWA. It is my pleasure to present the annual report of The University of Western Australia for 2005, a year of outstanding achievement for the University underpinned by growing resources and a continued emphasis on excellence.

This tradition of excellence in teaching, learning and research now extends almost 95 years. In 2005 institutional performance combined with that of individual staff and students continued to build the University’s reputation for achieving international excellence.

The Vice-Chancellor’s overview highlights many of these individual achievements. In addition to these outstanding success stories from the campus, our emphasis on international partnerships and collaborations continued to develop the University in a very positive way—from collaboration with the Government of the People’s Republic of China to establish the first Confucius Institute in Australia to growing relationships with strategic partners in other parts of Asia, North America and Europe, and the recruitment of staff with world-standing.

Reflecting on the position of the University as I complete my appointment as Chancellor at the end of 2005, I believe that the work of my colleagues on the University’s governing body, the Senate, the strong strategic focus of the University Executive and the outstanding commitment of staff at all levels ensures the University an illustrious future. It has been a pleasure to work with such a dedicated and diverse group.

I would like to extend my personal thanks to all members of the Senate, the Vice-Chancellor and his Executive, the University Secretariat, the staff of the University and the Student Guild for making it such a pleasurable and rewarding experience to be Chancellor of my own University.

I offer my very best wishes to incoming Chancellor, Dr Michael Chaney AO CitWA, and to all who strive to ensure that the University remains a creative and intellectual resource to the communities which it serves.

Dr Ken Michael AM CitWA,
Chancellor

Dr Ken Michael retired as Chancellor on 12 December 2005 and was sworn in as Governor of Western Australia in January 2006.

Top of Page